Tottenham On This Day: Garry Brooke Rescues Spurs Against Hull City


Steve Archibald scores Tottenham’s second goal [Photo: Logan Holmes]Tottenham on this Day

24th January, 1981

Tottenham Hotspur 2 Hull City 0 FA Cup 4th Round

Scorers: Brooke, Archibald

Team: Daines; McAllister, Miller, Roberts, Perryman, Yorath, Ardiles (Brooke), Hoddle, Galvin, Archibald, Crooks

The 100th F.A. Cup competition saw Spurs with a home tie in the Fourth Round against Third Division strugglers, Hull City.

Spurs were in a period of impressive form, going into this game, and with Steve Archibald and Garth Crooks taking the chances created by a midfield including Glenn Hoddle, Ossie Ardiles and Tony Galvin, the result should have been a formality.

Hull, however, had other ideas and gave Spurs a scare. Tottenham dominated the match and had 23 shots to Hull’s four. Spurs won 17 corners while Hull had two and their goalkeeper Tony Norman had an inspired afternoon, denying Garth Crooks who should have had a first half hat-trick. Yet, for all their superiority, Spurs were susceptible in the occasional Hull attack who saw a great lob go past the post in the first half and in Paul Parish’s match report, he commented that Hull,

"…exposed more than once, Tottenham’s brittle offside trap during the second period."

Hull held out until the 83rd minute but it was a substitution by Keith Burkinshaw which changed the course of the game. He took off the ‘tiring and generally ineffective’ Ardiles to replace him with the ‘youthful zest’ of Garry Brooke. He scored the opening goal, brought another save from Norman and set up the second goal for Steve Archibald, in the final minute.

Burkinshaw was relieved that Spurs had avoided a tricky replay in Hull.

Garry Brooke

Garry Brooke had made his first appearance for Tottenham at the end of November as a substitute against West Bromwich Albion. He had started his first game at home to Southampton on Boxing Day and marked the occasion by scoring twice in a 4 – 4 draw, having scored a hat-trick against Southampton Reserves a few days earlier. He started in both Cup games in the 3rd Round against QPR, playing on the right side of midfield as replacement for Ossie Ardiles. He remained part of the Spurs squad through the remainder of the season and was named as substitute for the Final at Wembley, replacing Ricky Villa in the first game.