A Ricky Villa Strike As Tottenham Enjoy Semi-Final Replay At Highbury


Ricky Villa gave a taster of what was to come as Tottenham, having been denied by a controversial refereeing decision in the semi-final at Hillsborough, enjoyed their short trip to Highbury for the 1981 FA Cup replay against Wolverhampton Wanderers.

On This Day

15th April, 1981

Totttenham Hotspur 3  Wolverhampton Wanderers 0

Scorers: Crooks (2), Villa

Tottenham’s 1981 Wembley Record with Chas and Dave

Thanks to referee Clive Thomas and the FA’s unaccountable decision that the replay would take place at Highbury Spurs had the opportunity to take over their greatest rival’s ground for the FA Cup semi-final replay against Wolves. It was the perfect place for Tottenham and gave them a tremendous advantage with Spurs fans greatly outnumbering the Wolves supporters.

Spurs were determined not to be deprived of their place at Wembley as they had been the previous Saturday, when they were unfortunate that a late penalty decision went against them to necessitate a replay. Tottenham ensured there were no problems this time.

Garth Crooks scored twice as Spurs won at Highbury [Photo: www.oldschoolpanini.com]Spurs were fired up for the game from the outset and took an early lead when Garth Crooks headed the opening goal in front of the North Bank where many of their supporters were packed. Wolves came back strongly looking for an equaliser but only managed to hit the woodwork. Then just before half-time Crooks scored the second when he showed a burst of pace to reach a Glenn Hoddle through ball and finished with ease.

Spurs were celebrating further when Ricky Villa sealed the victory with a run and powerful shot from thirty yards. This was just a little fore-taste of what he was to produce in the Final at Wembley. A great victory and a stylish performance as ‘Spurs were on their way to Wembley’ for their first FA Cup Final since 1967.

#knowyourtottenhamhistory  14th April, 1991  Gazza’s Special Day at Wembley