Tottenham On This Day: Another FA Cup Replay To Forget Against Derby


Martin Chivers [Photo: Logan Holmes]For some days in Tottenham’s 131 year history it is difficult to find a match or event of note but for this date, 7th February we are spoiled for choice with memorable matches but there was also an FA Cup 4th Round Replay against Derby County.

Tottenham on this Day

7th February, 1973

Tottenham Hotspur 3 Derby County 5 (aet) FA Cup 4th Round Replay

Scorers: Chivers, Gilzean, England (pen)    Davies (3), Hector (2)

Team: Jennings; Evans, Knowles; Pratt, England, Beal; Gilzean, Perryman, Chivers, Peters, Coates (Pearce)

We’ll get the disappointing news out of the road first with another FA Cup replay Spurs would prefer to forget.

In the first game four days earlier at Derby a goal from Martin Chivers had put Spurs ahead late in the game but with five minutes remaining Derby equalised to earn a replay. At White Hart Lane with less than ten minutes to go, Spurs were comfortably looking forward to the 5th Round.

They were 3 – 1 ahead after goals from Martin Chivers, Alan Gilzean and a penalty from Mike England but then Derby’s lanky centre forward, Roger Davies, took over the scoring. His two goals in those final minutes brought the tie level and took the game into extra time. He then completed his hat-trick and Derby marked an incredible comeback with a fifth goal to leave Spurs’ Cup dreams shattered for another year.

Chivers had opened the scoring after 19 minutes from a Cyril Knowles cross. Just before half-time Gilzean put a header against the post from a Chivers’ long throw but recovered to put in the rebound. Spurs remained in control until with less than 20 minutes to play Derby pulled a goal back through Hector. England then restored Spurs’ advantage from the penalty spot but two minutes later Davies scored his first and added a second with minutes remaining. In a tense period of extra time Davies scored his third in the 107th minute and Hector completed the recovery with a fifth goal six minutes later.

Even a team managed by the greatest of managers, Bill Nicholson, could suffer unexpected and unexplainable results and 52,736 spectators were left stunned.