Tottenham’s Home Record In The Cup Against Hull City


Steve Archibald scores Tottenham’s second goal in FA Cup against Hull in 1981 [Photo: Logan Holmes]The match between Tottenham and Hull at White Hart Lane in the Capital One Cup 4th Round tie is the first time that the two clubs have been drawn together in the League Cup. They have met in the FA Cup on a number of occasions including 1981 as Spurs were on their way to a successful and unforgettable Final.

Spurs and Hull have faced each other in the FA Cup on three occasions stretching back to Tottenham’s non-League days. Those three ties have produced 7 matches with Spurs progressing to the next round on each occasion. Spurs will be looking to maintain that record in a tie which will be decided on the night with extra time and penalties, if required.

Last Cup Meeting

The last FA Cup meeting was in January, 1981 in the 4th Round and will be remembered as one of the games on Tottenham’s route to Wembley. At the time Hull were near the foot of the old 3rd Division so it was expected hat Spurs would have an easy passage to the next Round. Tottenham dominated the match and had 23 shots to Hull’s four. Spurs won 17 corners while Hull had two and their goalkeeper Tony Norman had an inspired afternoon, denying Garth Crooks who had signed from Stoke the previous summer and should have had a first half hat-trick. Yet, for all their superiority, Spurs were susceptible in the occasional Hull attack who saw a great lob go past the post in the first half and in Paul Parish’s match report, he commented that Hull,

"…exposed more than once, Tottenham’s brittle offside trap during the second period."

Hull held out until the 83rd minute but it was a substitution by Keith Burkinshaw which changed the course of teh game. He took off the ‘tiring and generally ineffective’ Ardiles to replace him with the ‘youthful zest’ of Garry Brooke. He scored the opening goal, brought another save from Norman and set up the second goal for Spurs’ other summer signing, Steve Archibald, in the final minute. Burkinshaw was relieved that Spurs had avoided a tricky replay in Hull.

Team: Daines; Perryman, Roberts, Miller, McAllister; Ardiles (Brooke), Yorath, Hoddle, Galvin; Archibald, Crooks

1953-54 FA Cup 5th Round

Sonny Walters heads the opening goal in the 1954 FA Cup replay against Hull [Photo: Logan Holmes]Tottenham had to travel to 2nd Division Hull for the 5th Round tie in late February. They earned a 1 – 1 draw with a goal from Les Bennett in front of 47,000 spectators who witnessed a typical Cup-tie. It was a last minute penalty for Hull which brought about the replay but it was the least that Hull deserved. They had played for 87 minutes with ten men, losing their right winger to injury in an early tackle. The 10-men never gave up and should have been ahead at the interval.

In the second half Spurs did more of the attacking and took the lead through Bennett. It seemed to be enough until that final minute when Alf Ramsey brought down full back Jensen who stepped up to score from the penalty spot.


In the replay four days later, Spurs won 2 – 0 with the goals being scored by Sonny Walters and Eddie Baily. Baily had missed a great scoring opportunity from a back pass in the 3rd minute and was relieved when Walters put Spurs ahead after 23 minutes, heading home from 4 yards. In injury time at the end of the first half, Baily was presented with another chance from a back pass but made sure this time to put Spurs two up. After the interval, Walters and Baily both had chances to increase Spurs lead but no further goals came.

Team: Ditchburn; Ramsey, Willis; Nicholson, Clarke, Wetton; Walters, Baily, Duquemin, Bennett, Robb

Non-League Days

The first meeting between the clubs was when Spurs were still playing in the Southern League. Hull were already in the Football League, a 2nd Division team. It took three games to settle the 1st Round tie.

Jan. 1907  1st Round

1907 Tottenham v Hull (2nd Replay) [Photo: Logan Holmes]Tottenham were drawn at home in a match which ended scoreless. The replay in Hull which went to extra time was also devoid of goals although Spurs had the better of the scoring opportunities with Vivian Woodward hitting the bar and having a goal disallowed. The match was abandoned after 10 minutes of the added time due to bad light. The result stood and a third match was played with Tottenham being at home by mutual consent. This time the only goal of the contest was scored by Herbert Chapman with a low shot after 10 minutes play. He went on to great fame as manager of successful teams with Huddersfield and Arsenal.

The Tottenham Herald reported that after the match,

"Upon leaving the ground by brake, the Hull team were given a cordial send-off by a fairly large gathering of people who had stayed behind to witness their departure."

Hopefully everything will be as friendly after tonight’s game when Hull depart following another Tottenham win (I hope).