John Lacy's near post header touched onto the bar [Photo: Logan Holmes]

Tottenham On This Day: Spurs Undefeated FA Cup Run Ends After 18 Games

Having won the FA Cup in two successive seasons at the beginning of the 1980s, Tottenham’s undefeated run in the competition came to an end after 18 matches in the 5th Round at Everton.

Tottenham on this Day

19th February, 1983

Everton 2 Tottenham Hotspur 0 FA Cup 5th Round

Team: Clemence, Hughton, Lacy, Price, Perryman, Hazard, Villa (Hoddle), Mabbutt,Galvin, Gibson, Crooks

All good things must come to an end and so it proved in the FA Cup 5th Round match at Goodison Park. After over two seasons undefeated in the FA Cup, Spurs went out rather tamely to Everton. In winning the Cup for the two previous seasons Spurs had played 18 games, winning 14 and being taken to 4 replays including both finals against Manchester City and Queen’s Park Rangers. This was Spurs first FA Cup match outside London in that time, apart from the semi-finals played at a neutral venue.

After defeating Southampton and West Bromwich Albion at White Hart Lane in the previous rounds an under strength Tottenham team, lacking some of their top players through injury – Ossie Ardiles, Graham Roberts, Paul Miller and Steve Archibald were all missing, gave a rather lack-lustre performance to surrender their hold of the Cup they had won in the previous two seasons. The loss to Everton was their first FA Cup defeat since going down to Liverpool in home tie the 6th Round in March, 1980.

Everton dominated the first half and it was only Ray Clemence who kept Spurs in the game. Everton eventually got the breakthrough in the 48th minute when Andy King scored. Tottenham did come more into the game with a John Lacy header from a Tony Galvin corner being pushed onto the bar by the Everon goalkeeper and scrambled clear as Terry Gibson tried to get to the rebound. Galvin then created a chance with a cross to Garth Crooks who put his shot wide.

Everton secured victory from a free-kick. King, Clemence and Gary Mabbutt went for the ball chipped into the area but it broke to Grahaeme Sharp who had the simple task of putting it into the empty net.

Related Article:

End of FA Cup Road for Spurs after 14 Games - Read more


Tags: 19th February 1983 5th Round Fa Cup Soccer Tottenham Hotspur

comments powered by Disqus