Popescu with Ardiles [Photo: Logan Holmes]

Tottenham On This Day: Marlow Town, League And Cup Success Over Arsenal

Tottenham On This Day

2nd January, 1982

Tottenham Hotspur 1 Arsenal 0 (FA Cup 3rd Round)

Scorer: Crooks

Team: Clemence, Perryman, Hughton, Villa, Roberts, Miller, Ardiles, Falco, Galvin, Hoddle, Crooks

As FA Cup holders, Spurs’ defence of the trophy started with a home tie against north London rivals, Arsenal at White Hart Lane.

A crowd of 38,421 watched what was only the second FA Cup tie between the two clubs, Arsenal having won 3-0 in a 3rd Round game at Highbury in January, 1949.

This match was settled by a Garth Crooks goal which went under the body of our former hero, Pat Jennings. That unusual mistake set Spurs on their way to retaining the trophy in a season that saw them striving for trophies in four competitions but eventually having to settle for a seventh FA Cup victory in a replay against Queen’s Park Rangers at Wembley.

Further misery for Jennings came with an injury which saw him substituted and out of the game for a number of weeks.

2nd January, 1995

Tottenham Hotspur 1 Arsenal 0

Scorer: Popescu

Spurs got the New Year off to a perfect start when a goal from Gica Popescu gave them a home Premiership win over Arsenal. Ahead of the game, Spurs under Gerry Francis were 6th in the league while Arsenal were languishing in 13th.

The only goal of the game came in the 22nd minute. It was set up by David Howells who had returned to the side after the sacking of Ossie Ardiles. Howells won the ball on half-way and fed it to Darren Anderton with a delicate chip forward. The winger took it on causing uncertainty in the visitors’ defence and when he played the ball into the area Popescu got there ahead of the defender to side-foot home.

2nd January, 1993

Tottenham Hotspur 5 Marlow Town 1

Scorers: Barmby (2), Samways (2) Sheringham

Spurs were drawn against non-League Marlow Town in the 3rd Round of the FA Cup. The game should have been played at Marlow but the club agreed to play at White Hart Lane to increase their financial wind-fall from the 26,636 spectators in attendance.

Marlow performed well but were beaten by goals from Nicky Barmby (2), Vinny Samways (2) and Teddy Sheringham.

Sheringham put Spurs into the lead after 20 minutes and Barmby added the second 4 minutes before the interval. Samways scored the third five minutes into the second half. With twenty minutes to play David Lay pulled one back for Marlow but within 10 seconds of the kick-off Samways made it four. Barmby added the fifth in the final minute.

The Independent reported that the biggest cheer of the afternoon was reserved for the 70th minute when David Lay scored his team’s thoroughly deserved consolation goal.

Tags: FA Cup 3rd Round Non-League Opposition North London Derby Soccer Tottenham Hotspur

comments powered by Disqus