Tottenham On This Day: Micky Hazard Leads Fight Back Against Liverpool

image1218th December, 1993

Tottenham Hotspur 3 Liverpool 3

Scorers: Samways, Hazard (pen), Caskey

Team: Walker; Kerslake, Edinburgh; Samways, Calderwood, Sedgley; Dozzell, Hazard, Anderton, Caskey, Campbell

A six-goal thriller saw Spurs take a first half lead when Vinny Samways scored his first goal of the season. Liverpool struck back to score three times within the first nine minutes of the second half.Spurs, however, showed battling qualities to get back into the game when Micky Hazard scored with a penalty.The point was earned with fifteen minutes remaining when Darren Caskey headed Spurs level from a David Kerslake cross. 

It was Ossie Ardiles’ first season as manager but after a promising start, injury to Teddy Sheringham left Spurs struggling to find consistency and found themselves fighting a battle against relegation for most of the season.

Micky Hazard Returns

image12Micky Hazard had been brought back to Tottenham by Ardiles earlier in the season. He had made 91 league appearances for Spurs from 1978 to 1985 when he joined Chelsea. After five seasons at Stamford Bridge he had a short period with Portsmouth before joining Swindon Town who were then managed by Ardiles. Hazard became an influential player in Swindon’s play-off winning season of 1992–93 under Glenn Hoddle which saw them promoted to the Premier League. He returned to Tottenham in November 1993 for a fee of £50,000, where he stayed until his retirement in April 1995.

Hazard at His Best!

In 1982 Spurs were looking to retain the FA Cup while Chelsea were in the 2nd Division. Spurs wore an all white strip with yellow socks and as the game progressed everything clicked for them. Chelsea had taken a first half lead but gradually Spurs started to show their superior class with Glenn Hoddle giving a master class of ball control.

It was only a matter of time before Spurs would score and it came when Steve Archibald poked the ball home after the Chelsea goalkeeper failed to hold a Hoddle free-kick. Spurs immediately stepped up a gear and within ten minutes were 3-1 ahead. The second goal was a masterpiece. Hoddle and Micky Hazard cut through the Chelsea midfield with an exchange of passes and, after Hazard’s flick had left them wrong-footed, Hoddle crashed a 25-yard drive past the goalkeeper. Hazard then confirmed Tottenham’s superiority with a coolly taken drive.

In the UEFA Cup semi-final in 1984 Hazard scored the only goal in the 2nd leg at White Hart Lane. Having lost the first leg game by 1 – 2 with Hadjuk Split scoring twice in the second half, Tottenham were under pressure to regain the initiative. They scored after six minutes when at a free kick outside the penalty area, Micky Hazard managed to bend the ball round the wall and inside the post. Spurs had the slender advantage that if the score remained unchanged they would progress on the away goals rule.


Tags: Micky Hazard Ossie Ardiles Soccer Tottenham Hotspur

comments powered by Disqus