Ten questions to test your knowledge of events from the past seven days or so in Tottenham’s history. As always, some of the answers can be found at links to the question but all of the answers will appear later in the comments box at the end of the quiz.
This week’s quiz looks back at events in Spurs history which occurred in the week 10th – 18th October. Ten weeks or so into the season it amazing how many interesting and dramatic events have taken place during those seven days over the years.
Tottenham Quiz: This Week In Spurs History
(10th – 18th October)
10th October, 1960
On this day the Double team dropped their first point of the season in a 1 – 1 draw at White Hart Lane.
1. Which team was the first to deny Spurs a win in season 1960-61? (1 point) Answer
2. Who scored the Spurs’ goal and how many games had they won at the start of the season? (2 points) Answer
11th October, 1958
Bill Nicholson was appointed manager of Tottenham and his Spurs team defeated Everton 10 – 4 at the Lane.
3. Who scored the first goal of Bill Nicholson’s reign as manager? (1 point) Answer
4. What was the half-time score? (1 point) Answer
5. Bobby Smith scored 4 goals but a player nicknamed “the Charmer” was the master-mind behind the win and even scored himself. Who was “The Charmer”? (1 point) Answer
13th October, 1894
6. On this day Spurs played and won their first ever match in the FA Cup against a team called West Herts. What Football League club developed from that team? (1 point) Answer
14th October, 1967
Spurs played their first 1st Division match against Coventry City at Highfield Road. They won 3 – 2 with Jimmy Greaves scoring twice.
7. Who scored the other Tottenham goal? (1 point) Answer
15th October, 1963
8. The north London derby ended 4 – 4 but what was the half-time score at Highbury? (1 point) Answer [Note the newspaper headline the next day]
16th October, 1965
Jimmy Greaves scored a very special goal against Manchester United in this match which Spurs won 5 – 1. All five forwards scored for Spurs.
9. Who were the other four Tottenham goalscorers? (4 points) Answer
18th October, 1989
Spurs beat Arsenal 2 – 1 at White Hart Lane – having lost the previous six matches with their near neighbours. Tony Adams conceded two free-kicks in the space of five minutes in the first half and Spurs scored their two goals. Arsenal pulled a goal back but Spurs held on thanks to a fine display of goalkeeping.
10. Can you identify the Spurs goalscorers (VS and PW) and goalkeeper (ET) from their initials? (3 points)
Some of the answers can be found at the links in the question and they will also be put in the first comment box after the quiz.
How did you get on?
Are you a Sandy Brown or a Laurie Brown on Spurs History?
11 – 17 points: Sandy Brown (1901 FA Cup winning goalscorer)
5 – 10: Bill Brown (Double winning goalkeeper)
1 – 4: Laurie Brown (1960s centre-half/centre-forward)