For a game in the Capital One Cup, a competition which many clubs and players take lightly, both teams showed a remarkable enthusiasm to get involved and make a point to their respective managers for inclusion in his first ’11′.
Tottenham had a comfortable four-goal win over Aston Villa in the Capital One Cup. It was a team showing eight changes from the one which started against Cardiff on Sunday so it was a good opportunity for the ‘fringe’ players in the Spurs squad to impress Andre Villas-Boas. Who earned their ‘Spurs’ at Villa Park last night?
- Jermain Defoe who was included after missing out with injury on Sunday continued his scoring record for this season of 2 goals in each game he has started to move up to 5th on Spurs all-time goalscoring list.
- Vlad Chiriches made his Tottenham debut and Zeki Fryers started his first game for Spurs.
- Nacer Chadli, recovered from injury, came off the bench to score Spurs’ third goal, his first for the club.
- Brad Friedel, captaining the team against his former club, kept a clean sheet.
- Kyle Walker, one of the three players to be retained from Sunday impressed at Aston Villa where he has spent half a season on loan before making the right back position his own in the Tottenham team. He was composed in defence and a constant threat going forward in attack.
- Lewis Holtby and Erik Lamela who combined to create the winner for Paulinho last time out, worked effectively in midfield and linked up well with Harry Kane who worked hard from the left of midfield.
- Sandro was everywhere – total commitment and Paulinho scored again, the second goal all but securing the win for Spurs.
While I haven’t mentioned Jan Vetonghen, he went about doing what he always does, defending with composure apart when one comical moment at the start of the second half when the substitute Villa striker, Helenius, got behind him. Chasing back into the area, Vertonghen stumbled and as he fell, accidentally pulled down the striker’s shorts. Helenius blazed his shot over the bar for a goal kick but Villa thought they should have had a penalty.
Which Player Won their ‘Spurs’?
Vote for your choice in the HotspurHQ Poll: