Christian Eriksen showed in his debut performance for Tottenham against Norwich last Saturday that he can fill the creative midfield role that was missing in Spurs play last year and in the opening games of the new season.
HotspurHQ “Spurs” Awards
Honourable mentions go to:
two-goal hero Gylfi Sigurdsson and
left back Danny Rose.
In an outstanding performance which received high praise, Eriksen showed what he could bring to the Tottenham team.
- He displayed quick, incisive passing with an awareness of other players around him, as in the pass for Sigurdsson to score and for Paulinho to cross for the second goal.
- He linked well with Roberto Soldado with their partnership contributing to the opening goal.
- He supported Soldado and in attack was frequently ahead of the lone striker when he had dropped deeper to lay off the ball to another midfield player.
- He was prepared to run at defenders who were unsure whether to close him down or back off him.
Former Tottenham defender, Sebastien Bassong who was the star of a hard-pressed Norwich defence on Saturday was quoted in the Daily Express, saying,
He knows where to put himself, between the lines and as soon as he gets the ball he is a threat. He is a top-quality player and it’s hard to know whether or not to follow him as he can make the difference as soon as he gets the ball, in a split second. That is how top players are.
- He is prepared to shoot and saw an early shot in the first half, saved by the Norwich goalkeeper with the rebound falling to Soldado for a cheeky back-heel which was blocked by a combination of defender and post.
- He was good at finding space in midfield to collect the ball and start an attack quickly.
- He was industrious in midfield and was prepared to battle back if he lost possession.
The early signs are good for Eriksen and that he can develop a partnership with Soldado to provide the type of goal scoring opportunities on which the Spanish striker thrives. The more they play together the better their understanding will become.
Here’s a video of Eriksen’s best moments and contribution to Saturday’s win. It was posted on YouTube by